Monday, January 30, 2006

Finnish handball

Oh yeah and I did manage to convince myself to make my way down to Helsingin Urheilutalo for the handball training today. I was a bit hesitant because I knew that i'm going to be smaller size than most of the players and talking about game experience.. I have only about a year or so. Am I going to make a fool of myself there? I didn't know but I thought who cares, even if I did make a fool of myself, I would probably not meet these ppl in my life again.
As usual, when I walked into the indoor court, the players stared at me with that "what are you doing here" look. But I didn't care. I stood there and observed while the coach shouted lots of instructions in finnish. Finally he noticed me and he came over and welcomed me with a warm handshake. He handed me the changing room key immediately. Wow no questions asked and I could join. How nice.
Because of the recognition of my presence by the coach, some of the players started coming over to make a self-introduction and it was really nice of them, I felt less alienated. Even though I could sense that some of them could not accept my presence yet but I guess it's normal; I shall give them and myself more time to break the ice.
As I was late because of lessons. I stood and observe after I changed thinking that I will probably not get a chance to touch the ball this time round. Suddenly, the coach pointed at me: "You put on the blue shirt!" Woohoo, I get to play! But I was a bit confused 'cos I hadn't managed to observe their style of play and I was really conservative, playing the normal wave throughout the match. More time i guess... shan't do stupid stuff now.
Oh my, their ball handling is really good. And I thought maybe it was because the ball was very sticky. Well I was wrong when I saw how fast they can pass and how sharp they were in noticing lapses in the defence. And when they take a shot... super powerful. I haven't seen a shot bounce off the top bar of the goal and flew to the centre of the court! strong! The wingers are even more amazing... with their twisting and fast hand actions... droolz... How I hope I can go back to singapore like them. hehe.
Looking forward to the training on wednesday. Physical training and individual skills... shall find out wat's the key to the amazing skill of the wingers. I don't know what's installed for me, but I will try my best and be as thick skinned as possible. I hope the coach won't ask me to leave. haha.
Oh yah... and just when I thought I should be fine, one of the players told me they are playing in division 1 and not 2. I hope I survive.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kailin said...

I'm proud of you!! :P So brave. I really really hope you get to learn and train more there! Go back NUS and become star player ;)

11:07 PM  
Blogger ivan said...

hehe. I had 2nd thoughts abt publishing this blog cos it sounds so hao lian but I just wanted to share my excitement. Btw NUS got no more handball team.. haha. Maybe you should join a sports club too? And maybe you can become more agile and fall down less often? :p

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home