Friday, January 20, 2006

olympic stadium tower

The 1st instance of the sun setting
This is like within 2 minutes
1 more minute later
And the sun is gone

The tower

The viewing area, irritating grills; had to put my camera outside to get good pictures and the strong winds always make me worry that my camera will fall down the tower

The sun shining on the city; notice that most of the buildings are pretty short

Buildings in city area

Stadium from the tower

As the sun was shining brightly, dai da and me decided that it was time to make our way back to stadion hostel. There was this tower there which allows us to have a bird's eye view of helsinki and so of we went with my camera and 6 batteries. Hehe (had to make my 2 euros entrance fee worth the money)
We reached there at around 2.30pm and quickly made our way up the tower (because the hours of daylight are really short here, possibly less than 3 hours on a typical day) Well, it sure looks like spring from up there and everyone is saying that this a warm winter. But, as we were on high ground, the wind was strong and it was really cold up there. I had trouble trying to steady my camera. So we went down the tower to warm ourselves before going back up (singaporean attitude = stretch the euro)
And that was not the end, we decided we had to wait for sun set (2 euros well-spent) and so we went down again to prepare for our 3rd trip up for the sunset. Well, it didn't take long for that to happen; short hours of daylight.
The sun sets really quickly, I was basically trigger-happy, trying my best to capture the moment in as many angles I could for that few precious minutes.
Oh and I forgot to mention, we could also see the moon at the opposite site of the tower... so basically you can see the colour of the sky fading from bright orange to purplish red as you turn from the sun side to the moon side; really breath-taking. I filmed that down with my camera and luckily I managed to capture the difference in shades of the sky. After the sun set, dai da and me rushed to school for our first sauna party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home