Tuesday, February 21, 2006

All NUS students should go for exchange

I have been reflecting and realised that i'm learning so much more non-academic stuff than when I was in Singapore. Like for example, i'm online now to search for the recipe for goreng pisang so that I can cook them for my friends here; in singapore, I will probably type something like "simulation and optimisation" into google all the time. I think exchange helps us realise that there is more to life than getting a good degree, like adapting to new environment, learning culinary skills, cherishing our friends, exposure to different cultures (which I think is really important since we are so globalised nowadays) and many other more important things that I think lots of NUS students are missing out.... we are trapped in our tiny globe of work and more work!
I'm not saying that it is not good to focus on academic areas but I thought the system that NUS has, is too demanding on a student's time. Like here in Finland, most of the students have done some sort of summer job or are even part-timing; I took a CV writing course here and I just realised how pathetic my CV looks in comparison to theirs - they had to question me why I put my NS under work experience. I was like "hey, we are all students, if I don't do that what else can I put under work experience?" Well, they proved me wrong... apparently, it is so common to have a whole list of work experience on your CV here.
I thought it was good if most students have the time to work as they are schooling because in this way, they can try and see if they like to work in the field of their study. At least, I know of quite a few finns who change their major after a year or so because of their work experience.
This kind of trial-and-error culture is really what we need in singapore - entrepreneurship that's what we call it. Singaporeans are too critical and harsh about failures.
Alright I don't know if I am making sense also.

So all NUS students should go for exchange to ensure that they have a well-balanced education.
I can't deny also that exchange is like a partial holiday for NUS students. But since most of us can't bear to deviate from the norm and have an official holiday for half-a-year or more, well this is the chance to take a breather and not feel remorseful. At the same time, it would be a good chance to slow down and reflect.

Now I fully understand why government agencies are still sending their scholars overseas despite the fact that we have a TOP 20 university in Singapore.

A good balance, that's what it is all about.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lalalalala said...

Top 20? I think the NUS admin needs some time to reflect on themselves.

Plus you are so right about the non academic areas. I am also learning how to cook better. Now that is a major plus point eh?

1:12 AM  
Blogger Qi said...

actually many young ppl in s'pore has a lot of work experience, doing part-time and by counting the number of long hols we have, tt's the number of temp jobs you did. so, it's still quite a lot loh.

and pple do cook back here though maybe more for leisure, just tt u guys dun do much of tt! :P

5:32 PM  
Blogger ivan said...

Yah tuition teachers, sales. What I mean is the students here work in jobs related to their studies.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home